Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Finding my 'mommy style' Part 1



 Shirt: Downeast Outfitters, Pants: H&M, Shoes: TJMaxx

Everyone warns you how the transition into mommyhood is going to take some time, but I didn't realize how hard it would be emotionally and physically when it came to stepping confidently into motherhood. I definitely know I'm Hilton's mommy. We cry tears together and giggle together, but I still don't register myself as 'mom' in my list of titles. I don't see myself as mom because I don't wear mom jeans and I don't talk all day about my children. Or at least I don't think I do.

The transition to embracing mommyhood has been slow. However the reality of my wardrobe quickly struck me. Like day one postpartum. Even though I dropped my baby weight quickly and was back to pre-baby weight three months postpartum, my body was NOWHERE near the same. I was up a size in pants because hello I all of a sudden got hips way bigger than what I'd ever had before, and shirts are just so much more snug I feel so much more comfortable in shirts a size up from my pre-baby size. So sadly the majority of my Nordstrom clothes from my year of working there no longer fit. And all the clothes I could still squeeze into from my high school days pre-baby were not even close to getting past my thighs-let alone buttoned-post baby.

When I was preparing to go back to work I underwent a dramatic downsizing in my closet to find what I could or would wear to work, leaving me with only three work pants and two pairs of jeans, and cleaning out our entire spare closet which was full of my old clothes and sending them all to the D.I. Unfortunately the reality of being a new first time mom is that there are still a lot of things to buy for baby even after the baby showers. Because a lot of my extra money the first five to six months was spent on baby clothes, formula, and diapers instead of replacing my own wardrobe immediately I have felt like the clothes I feel confident in have been in short supply around here and it's taken my a while to find and gather new items I'm happy to be 'mom' in. On top of that since I really didn't buy any new clothes for myself or keep up on trends while I was pregnant, I honestly feel like I've missed an entire year on fashion now that Hilton is already 10 months old. I have to ask coworkers if 'that's still in style' or what's popular for this or that now.

I'm slowly feeling out what I like and what I don't in the current fashion trends. What I feel comfortable in and what I don't. Unfortunately my old style of soft breezy blouses I used to love wearing I now feel completely self-conscious in. I prefer structured patterned shirts and blouses that make a statement by themselves. Also I don't have time to do my hair fancy nor do I wear fun or pretty jewelry because a) I don't have time for it and b) Hilton yanks on it or slobbers on it. Therefore my outfit needs to be able to stand on its own. I'm redefining what's a priority to me based less on just looks and more on function and comfort.

And slowly, I'm defining what it means to be 'mom' for me.

p.s. according to Jared this shirt looks like it was made by someone who didn't have enough of either fabric to make one shirt out of one or the other so they combined scraps. That made me laugh. I didn't really have any response other than 'it was cute' and 'I like it'. Which in this case is all I need I feel like. 

No comments: