Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rings of a more than basic nature

Fashion Find:
"Spoon rings were first made in 17th century England as wedding rings by servants who could not afford expensive precious metals. Servants would steal a silver spoon from their master and have it turned into a wedding ring to be worn on the thumb of their love. Servants who were caught stealing their masters' spoons were sentenced for 'stealing a silver spoon.’ An expression of love got the servants 7 years of imprisonment overseas. When they arrived, some of the servants met skillful prisoners who could turn spoons into rings. They took yet another spoon from an officer or their new master to present their love with a precious ring. Ever since, spoon rings have been a timeless gift of love."


I got mine through a friend of a friend whose cousin makes them. And might I say, I rarely wear jewelry on a daily basis except a pair of diamond stud earrings, my wedding rings, and my watch. And this has officially been added to the classification of daily wear.

They are easily found here, here, and my favorite here.

1 comment:

Amanda C. said...

Wow, I never knew the story behind the ring. It makes me like them even more.