Friday, May 18, 2012

Plant-o-maniac

Jared recently decided that he's OK if I turn the apartment into a greenhouse, but he fondly refers to it as a 'Jungle'. I wouldn't go that far, but I will admit that recently instead of being tempted to buy a new pair of shoes or something girl related, I am more tempted to buy a new plant when I go to the local store.

Maybe its because it brings me so much joy when I have a new plant I've never tried to take care of before and don't kill it. Boy have I grown since my freshman plant killing exploits. Gardening skills are not easily won unless you are naturally a green thumb, but for the most part its a trial and error kind of thing. You kill one plant, and you learn from it. Just like in life and learning lessons, you make a mistake and you try not to do it again in the future.

There's something so special in being able to grow an innocent little plant from a seed, and help it develop with pruning, watering, soil changes, etc. Maybe its that mothering instinct coming out that I haven't gotten to experience full fledged yet, but ultimately it is good practice in being aware of the needs of something other than yourself.

As well it teaches patience, a quality I (and many others) don't always have. Especially in these times of immediate gratification when calling someone thousands of miles away takes seconds, and I can have light at night by flipping a switch, its something that I feel I have partially come to appreciate and comprehend with growing my plants. Their changes take days, sometimes weeks; not moments. Long perseverance yields true improvement, just as repeating healthy actions develops habits. Real life qualities are not connected to instantaneous satisfaction, but hard work.

I feel closer to my Heavenly Father when I nuture something whether its my husband by feeding him, Adi or Aspen by caring for them in multiple ways, or watching a plant grow over time. Indeed I think it is something that I need to embrace more as a woman. I am here to nuture, care, and love others.
 
         The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender.
         There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. 
         There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. 
         We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. 
         We have enough greed; we need more goodness. 
         We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. 
         We have enough popularity; we need more purity.
         -Margaret D. Nadauld


1 comment:

Lacey said...

maybe you have a little bit of the green thumb from g-ma buck! They look great!