Saturday, August 13, 2011

DIY project: fun with chalk

This project was very last minute, fly by the seat of your pants kind of deal. Those are really the best I think. When inspiration hits just at the right moment and everything just falls into place. Its nice for a 'planner' mindset like me. Takes the work out of it I think.

When I was on my way out of HD (home depot) with the paint for this project, I happened to see this Chalkboard paint sitting there in the aisle, screaming for me to take it home. I had seen some projects with it on the all-be-known pinterest and had really wanted to recreate them. And it was only $9. With that kind of price it was like I would be loosing money if I didn't take it home. Really it just would have been a loss of gas if I'd had to come back and get it, which I knew I would. So I took it.

I took it even though I had nothing to have it be painted on. But that's ok.

Funnily enough though, I got a call from one of the people who'd been advertising their second hand ikea bookcases off of KSL who lived right in Bountiful, that he was home and I could come see it before he left. I'm sorry but I really am to cheap to spend $50 on a plyboard bookcase. $25 is really more reasonable. And who cares if it might be a little scratched up or pre-used. As long as its still functional right?

When I got there it was exactly what I wanted, the guy realized I only wanted the bookcase and none of the additional furniture he was trying to get rid of, so he offered to give it to me for FREE!

Score. Got a bookcase. Didn't pay a cent. How awesome is that?!

So I lugged it back to Jer's grandpas and we painted the top and sides with my super cool chalkboard paint that Jared now didn't think was so dumb, and it did turn out rather nice if I do say so myself.



Isn't that fun? I can't wait to use it on some other fun things to put around the house. Happy and productive Saturday!

-Melissa

No comments: